Method could save vineyards money, lead to lower wine costs.
Aug 15 2012 - 1:30pm
Get Inside the Science:
- UF researchers use acoustic tools to detect underground insects that attack grapes
- Will Sanders: Grape Listener
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Grape root borer - An insect considered to be a pest because during the larvae (caterpillar) stage of development, it feeds on grapevine roots, killing the vine.
- Mounding - A technique that places a mound of soil around the base of a grapevine, which forces grape root borers to travel farther to reach to surface; most borers don't survive.
- Chlorpyrifos - A pesticide used to kill the grape root borer; it has also been found to have toxic effects in humans.