Mechanical engineers develop a safety system to avoid collisions and keep drivers safe
Oct 25 2012 - 1:30pm
Get Inside the Science:
- Mechanical engineers develop an "intelligent co-pilot" for cars
- Shared Human-Machine Control of an Unmanned Ground Vehicle
- Robotic Mobility Group
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Semiautonomous - Providing some power to act independently. The “intelligent co-pilot” safety system only takes control of the vehicle when the driver moves out of a safe zone.
- Laser rangefinder - A device that uses a laser to measure its distance from another object.
- Safe zone - An area free of obstacles based on the measurements from the laser rangefinder.