Get Inside the Science:
- A Minute With...Jonathan Makela, expert on "space weather"
- Solar Dynamics Observatory
- Solar Cycle Prediction
- Jonathan J. Makela, Associate Professor, University of Illinois
Inside Science Buzzwords:
1. Solar flare - a buildup of magnetic energy on the surface of the sun that is suddenly released through the ejection of charged particles into space
2. Solar cycle - the 11-year cycle of solar activity from solar minimum to solar maximum, which is monitored by measuring the amount of sunspots on the sun's surface.
3. Sunspots -dark spots on the surface of the sun where magnetic activity builds up.