Higher mercury levels found in wild dolphins in Atlantic, Gulf Coasts.
Oct 19 2012 - 2:15pm
Get Inside the Science:
- Mercury in Dolphins: Study Compares Toxin Levels in Captive and Wild Sea Mammals
- Johns Hopkins Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering
- National Aquarium
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Mercury - An element and a metal that is found naturally in the environment, including in coal. Coal-fired power plants burn coal and release mercury into the atmosphere.
- Methylmercury - A form of mercury that dissolves in water where fish such as tuna, swordfish and shellfish can be exposed.
- Mercury Posioning - A disease caused by high exposure to mercury. Symptoms of posioning include problems with vision, hearing, speech and coordination.