Get Inside the Science:
- Using Computers and Sensors to Curb Electricity Use in Buildings
- Enterprise PCs Work While They Sleep, Saving Energy and Money
- Dr. Yuvraj Agarwal, University of California- San Diego
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Passive Infrared Sensor - A type of electronic device that detects thermal (infrared) energy emitted from objects in its vicinity such as heat from a person’s body. By contrast, in active infrared sensing, the device has a transmitter that sends infrared beams to a receiver and detects any blockage or other disturbance of the beams in its path.
- Sleepserver mode - Puts computers into a energy-saving state but stores their information in computer networks, which allows them to remain responsive to certain events such as remote access or incoming e-mail while the computers are asleep.
- IT - Short for Information Technology, IT refers to the use of technology to handle information, and specifically covers such things as computing tools, for example, software, hardware, networking systems, and also the ways in which data is prepared, stored, and processed.
- Computer Science - A field of study that focuses on the scientific and mathematical aspects of the design and operation of computers and similar technology and their various applications.